Many people with Diabetes do not display any symptoms. It is important for you to know your risk for Diabetes. Being Asians, we are at high risk for Diabetes despite our age, sex, body build. If you are at risk, get checked with no delay.
Who needs screening?
Anyone more than 40 years of age should get screened for Diabetes and every 3 years thereafter.
A person with any of the following risk factors should start early and check more frequently.
- Overweight/ obesity
- Sedentary lifestyle/ lack of exercise
- Hypertension (High blood pressure)
- High cholesterol and lipids
- Family history: Having a relative (parent/sibling/child) with Diabetes
- History of Gestational Diabetes (Diabetes during pregnancy)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (obesity related menstrual disorder in women)
- Acanthosis nigricans (dark, thick, velvety skin over neck and arm pits)