Diabetes can get complicated gradually over time. Longer the duration, poorer the control of Diabetes, it is higher the risk of complications. Eventually, diabetes complications may be disabling or even life-threatening.
Your doctor will advise you on regular screening for complications. These will include regular eye checkups, urine testing for protein, Kidney function tests, ECG, foot checkups.
Good blood glucose control, control of your blood pressure will prevent development of complications.
Foot care – Tips
- Never, never, never walk barefoot, not even inside your own home.
- Do not use hot water bottles to massage your feet. Don't sit close to a fire place.
- Wash your feet daily with soap and water. Apply some moisturizer over the foot, but avoid your toes and toe webs. Use a cotton cloth to wipe dry the toe web spaces.
- Cut your toe nails regularly. Cut them straight not deep into the corners with a nail cutter. Avoid scissors to cut nails.
- Choose right shoe. It should not be too tight. Toe- box should be wide.
- Always wear cottn socks with the shoes. Before you put your foot into the shoe, inspect inside for any sharps, stones etc.
- Check your feet daily by holding a mirror close to your feet. Consult your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any wound or even discolouration
- Donot perform any self surgery.
- Do not delay treatment for any wound on the foot with self medication